With so many people using the internet on a daily basis, more and more of us are now becoming conscious of the increased need for privacy and security. Most people will agree that being able to access the internet has proven invaluable both in terms of work and our personal lives. However, there are also some problems that can come with going online such as your activities being tracked and monitored or other people hacking into your information.
In order to try and improve privacy and security, many people now use a VPN service. There are various providers that offer VPN server access and these can provide a range of valuable benefits for users. In order to use a VPN server, you still need to have internet access so you will still need to be signed up with an Internet Service Provider. However, rather than connecting to websites via your ISP you will connect to the VPN server, which means a greater level of security, more privacy, and greater access to sites without being restricted or monitored.
Why should you start using a VPN?
Those who have never looked into using a VPN service before may wonder what the point of using this type of server might be. Well, there are a number of key ways in which you will be able to benefit from using a VPN server. If you are a personal user thinking of signing up to a VPN service for the first time, some of the benefits you can look forward to including:
- Bypassing geographical restrictions: As most of us know, there are certain sites that you can only access if you are located in a particular country or in certain countries. With the right VPN service, you can bypass these restrictions because your IP address will be hidden and you will appear to be connecting via the server’s IP address. Therefore, it will look as though you are connecting from the same country as the VPN server, which then eliminates the geographical restrictions.
- Avoid monitoring and tracking: As technology has become more and more sophisticated, so have the abilities of agencies and companies such as governments and ISPs to track and monitor internet usage. This causes concern for some people but when you use a VPN service you can maintain a higher level of privacy to stop this type of monitoring when you are engaging in online activities. Only you and your VPN server will be able to track the sites that you are going on.
- Reduce the risk of hacking: A lot of people use public Wifi when out and about but this comes with the risk of being hacked. This means that your data and privacy could be easily compromised. However, using a VPN server protects you against being hacked when you are using public wifi services. This enables you to benefit from a far higher degree of protection even if you are using public wifi.
This greater level of protection, security, privacy and peace of mind are just some of the reasons why you may want to consider using VPN servers.
Tips on choosing a VPN service
You should bear in mind that there are various VPN service providers that you can choose from these days, so you need to put some thought into which one you should choose. This is an industry sector that has become increasingly competitive over recent years. When you are looking for a suitable VPN service you should take a number of factors into consideration. This includes:
- The reputation of the service: In order to benefit from total peace of mind, you need to choose a service that has a solid reputation amongst other consumers. Therefore, take some time to look at reviews before you make your choice.
- Performance standards: You also need to make sure that the VPN service you choose is known for high-performance standards. Again, looking at reviews will help you to determine this so that you can make a more informed choice.
- Type of encryption it uses: Another thing that it is worth checking is the type of encryption that the VPN service uses. This will make it easier for you to determine just how secure your data is going to be.
- Ease of use: You want to find a VPN service that is going to provide ease of use and simplicity, as this will save you a lot of time and hassle. Therefore, make sure you take this into consideration when you make your choice.
- Support offered: If you run into any issues, you want to ensure you have access to advice and help. You should, therefore, make sure that you can easily get support from the VPN service you are considering using.
- Price of service: The cost of a VPN service can vary from one provider to another. While price should not be the most important factor if you want the best service, you should still make sure that the pricing is competitive and within your budget. This will enable you to benefit from the value for money of the service that you receive.
Taking all of these factors into consideration will make it easier for you to make an informed decision with regards to which VPN service you should choose.
Another key point that you need to look at is how many servers the VPN operates and where they are located. This is for a couple of main reasons. First off, the more servers the VPN has the less likely it is that you will end up being pushed onto a server that already has loads of people using it to connect to websites. Secondly, the more countries that the VPN service covers in terms of its servers, the more access you will have to global websites that are otherwise geographically restricted.
Connect all of your devices with one account
Another valuable tip to bear in mind is that many VPN service providers will enable you to connect a number of different devices under one account (Learn more about Yahoo account security issues). This means a far greater level of ease and convenience for you. This is because you can connect to websites on your phone, tablet, home computer and other devices through the VPN server without having to have a separate account for each device. This will enable you to maintain the same higher level of privacy and security when using your other internet devices as you would with your PC. The number of devices that you can have under one account may vary from one VPN service to another, so make sure you check that information when you are doing your research. Most will also offer apps that can be downloaded onto your devices, which means that you won’t have to go to the trouble of configuring the VPN settings on your phone.
You should note that the services and facilities available can vary from one VPN to another, so if you are new to the world of VPN make sure you compare what each provider offers before you make your choice. Once you have found the right VPN, you can benefit from a valuable safety net when you are using the internet.